Buff Runes

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
CrazyVanilla
Buff Runes

Post by CrazyVanilla » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:14 am

So basically everyone knows runes are essentially useless and only used for looks (except for sharpening stones and perhaps hardening is OK, but still not that useful imo). For the amount it costs to use them I think they should be much more useful. I know Robby said in the discord at one point that he was considering basing runes off of class stat (archery, magic, etc) to try and balance the damage formula because expertise is super op rn, so I think doing something like that would make runes much better. I'm not sure what all of the formulas are but I think buffing the damage and making the damage solely reliant on the players class stat would "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" and make both runes and the class stat much more useful.

Artemis

Re: Buff Runes

Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:23 am

Support. Wasting more money on upgrading my weapon than actually buying it. I would also recommend to maybe limit the amount of runes per weapon to prevent them from becoming too OP considering there are still more runes coming in the future.
Goddess of the hunt

CrazyVanilla

Post by CrazyVanilla » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 am

Artemis wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:23 am
Support. Wasting more money on upgrading my weapon than actually buying it. I would also recommend to maybe limit the amount of runes per weapon to prevent them from becoming too OP considering there are still more runes coming in the future.

troopas

Post by troopas » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 am

no

GonDup

Post by GonDup » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 am

Artemis wrote:

GonDup

Post by GonDup » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:01 am

troopas wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 am
no
Flawless reasoning, My English teacher is crying tears of joy.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:09 am

CrazyVanilla wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:14 am
So basically everyone knows runes are essentially useless and only used for looks (except for sharpening stones and perhaps hardening is OK, but still not that useful imo). For the amount it costs to use them I think they should be much more useful. I know Robby said in the discord at one point that he was considering basing runes off of class stat (archery, magic, etc) to try and balance the damage formula because expertise is super op rn, so I think doing something like that would make runes much better. I'm not sure what all of the formulas are but I think buffing the damage and making the damage solely reliant on the players class stat would "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" and make both runes and the class stat much more useful.
I mean they're not really that useless aside from Hardening Stones (which I think should've also given armor boosts for its other stat bonuses as well). Electric runes are fairly effective in crowd control and as a damage-booster for instance. That and I sincerely wonder when Robby will make poison-resistance a thing to prevent gunmen from exploiting the rune.

That being said, basing runes off class stat isn't actually a good idea since they can easily be mitigated by armor stat bonuses. As they currently stand runes are based off a player's total damage output (minus expertise, which I think is a good thing because I hate exploits). Switching them over to the player stat would just make them more unreliable since the attack is currently factored in alongside stat bonuses. For real, here's how player damage works:

Weapon Power*(Equipment Bonus+Player's Attack Stat)
Equipment Bonus=(Helmet Bonus+Armor Bonus+Legs Bonus+Shoes Bonus+Accessory Bonus)

If anything, I think the smarter move would be, once again, limiting Expertise to 20 (20% crit chance), thus allowing both runes and the player's attack stat to actually shine more.
Artemis wrote:
Support. Wasting more money on upgrading my weapon than actually buying it.
It's not really a waste. Upgrading my Lunatic Hammer was a move that was way cheaper in the long run than buying a Caliburn or a Big Mace would've been. I mean I'm talking $220102 spent (the initial $104213 for the Lunatic Hammer + $115889 for upgrading it) as opposed to $247979 spent total for switching to a Caliburn and $344313 spent total for switching to a Big Mace. Yeah, the savings from upgrading are HUGE; I'm talking 47.4% less money spent.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:25 am

Seems to be pretty helpful for lower level gear but, spending an additional $1,255,773 on my tribal bow for something that seems to be doing nothing, isn't worth purchasing.

I ain't asking for them to be broken, just think they need some sort of buff that actually makes them practical for higher level use.

Limiting expertise ain't sounding too bad rn.
Goddess of the hunt

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:32 am

Artemis wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:25 am
Limiting expertise ain't sounding too bad rn.
Yeah. I've been vouching for expertise limitations before people started pushing expertise as some baloney "meta." Like, what gives us the right to talk about meta if there's too little variance for one to exist?