Mage Rework - Particles to Balance Storm Cloud overuse/recent nerf.

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
Astin
Mage Rework - Particles to Balance Storm Cloud overuse/recent nerf.

Post by Astin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 am

Ever since the recent update I've noticed a shift in usage between classes, obviously some specialize in PvP while others in farming, yet for mages, the means you took to 'balance' tipped the scale. For context, I've been a mage through my alt but recently I reset on my main expecting a similar experience just to the realization that the so called 'support class' can't even support itself. Take Farming for example, you reach a place and then do what? Spam a few storm clouds and press C? And while there's nothing wrong with that, I find myself relying more on the storm cloud than my own wands.

Months back this wasn't the issue considering the cloud was overpowered and gave leverage, yet reducing the intervals between strikes was a poor move, for it both harms farming and strips the class of its only tool (Magic breathe while solid shouldn't be the centerpiece for farming considering its MP drain overtime).

Instead, I suggest reworking how the wands act i.e. Particles. Magic Particles in this sense would fix the range issue most mages rely on storm clouds for, and would let the wands be the primary means to fight with. With this sudden change however, I'd suggest the total damage be spread between the amount of particles the player has or a cap to avoid too much power. Along with this, the particles themselves should begin at 4 per wand, with there being room to increase (Up to 8 per wand) with this being an additional skill below Crucial Mp (4 green circles). Not only would this fill the skill gap, it'd also force the player to invest in more mp for more damage, and with more particles, the player has to spend more Mp. Yes this seems overcomplicated for a simple concept and replicates Helmet Heroes, though the class has always lacked a reason to use the wands themselves...like how different is the class from a warrior without its skills? there's only a different noise for when you hit with the wands.

Attached is a quick sketch showing how it'd look in the skills menu.
(This follows my forum post months back suggesting a necromancer aspect for mages)

-Ahmed / Astin

Heneral

Re: Mage Rework - Particles to Balance Storm Cloud overuse/recent nerf.

Post by Heneral » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 am

No the wands intended to be melee maybe think another method .
One of the Monarch and Oldest Player in Elia Society.
Since The Game Was Created.

masnam

Post by masnam » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:42 pm

Yes particles pls

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like there does need some reworking for the mage's basic attack. I'd like to get a little more feedback from some other players first before deciding to make some changes. Can anyone else agree or disagree with what is said here?

Astin

Post by Astin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Heneral wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 am
No the wands intended to be melee maybe think another method .
But clearly Melee doesn't work. I asked the same question on discord. What makes a mage a mage without its skills? Nothing, since its normal attack is exactly like a warrior, but even weaker. Mages should have some range with particles to make up for it running up to people with an orb field. The field itself isn't meant to be a weapon. Also I never specified for the range of these particles.

Astin

Post by Astin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Robby wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 pm
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like there does need some reworking for the mage's basic attack. I'd like to get a little more feedback from some other players first before deciding to make some changes. Can anyone else agree or disagree with what is said here?
On the official discord I've asked the same question and a few people have agreed, though will try to sample more players considering it was at night. Possibly through our polling chat. Thanks for considering my point since it's reflected upon most complaints people have with mages. (Both people who are and aren't)

GonDup

Post by GonDup » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Robby wrote:
I support it, hope it’s not incredibly overpowered because runes can cause that.

CrazyVanilla

Post by CrazyVanilla » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm

Robby wrote:
I think it's a good idea, though I have 2 concerns. Mage right now really is just a weak warrior with an indestructible forcefield for the most part, lol.

1) Poison damage. Seeing as poison does a flat 4-8-12-etc damage, if each particle did poison damage, then it would be QUITE OP. I mean, say 5 particles on 2 wands, both with p3. Thats literally 120 poison damage alone in 1 swing. Simple solution though, just don't allow elemental effects for the particles, only for the mele attacks still.

2) The damage itself. If each particle did 100% damage, again, it would be QUITE OP, especially if there were a fair amount of particles. Again though, simple solution, just have each particle do a % of base damage. Something like this may work

Default: no particles
Amount of particles per upgrade level: 1
Max level: 5 (5 total particles)
Particle damage: 20% of base damage

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 pm

I support it. Didn't really sound right for the mage's basic attack to be poking mobs with wands and staffs rather than using magic.
Goddess of the hunt

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:43 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback! I've got something in the works right now for a complete rework of the mages basic attack. I think it will be pretty cool.

If anyone plays Smash Bros, it's loosely based off of Palutena's side-B attack from Smash Bros Ultimate. :) So stay tuned for next update.