Craftable Items - Full Thread (long lol)

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
CrazyVanilla
Craftable Items - Full Thread (long lol)

Post by CrazyVanilla » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:32 pm

A while ago I made a suggestion about fishing and chopping for craftable items, but here is my full suggestion for craftable items as a whole.

Why Craftable Items?

1) Increases item rarity and and value -
Non-craftable items are just bought from the NPC for their price in coins, then when it comes time to resell them, they lose a significant portion of their value. If an item is $700,000 from the NPC, most people wouldn’t even bother buying it from another player unless they are selling it for <$600,000. There also is essentially no rarity to these items, because they can be simply purchased from the NPC, only requiring coins (which are not rare, being the most basic form of currency), an infinite amount of times.
Having items require other materials besides just coins to purchase will make them more rare, and in some cases making the “street value” of the item actually higher than the coin value from the NPC.

2) Increases player-to-player interaction -
Like I said above, non-craftable items essentially have no rarity to them, you get your coins and you purchase them from either an NPC or a player if they happen to be selling it for a discounted price.
With craftable items, the items themselves in many cases will be worth more than just their crafting price in coins, plus the materials used to craft these items will be traded from player-to-player, increasing interaction and adding another element to the game.

As for a general idea, craftable items would work just like they do in Helmet Heroes in terms of actually crafting the items, it will just require a variety of different materials and the ways to obtain those materials will be slightly different / expanded on from Helmet Heroes. For the most part, every element should be included in every craftable item, excluding shiny fish, and possibly excluding rare drops from bosses (depending how rare they are).

Armor sets should require different materials to craft each piece to give some variety to the pieces, but still remain giving the same stat bonuses and require the same amount of coins

The Elements to Craftable Items
- Logs / wood (potential solution to the “trees used as border” problem)
- Fish
- Minerals
- Runes / Stones
- Rare drops from bosses
- Coins (of course)

New Payvault Items
- Chainsaw: 15 emeralds each (works just like in HH)
- Fishing Net: 30 emeralds each (works just like in HH)
- Pickaxe: 15 emeralds each (works just like the chainsaw, but for mining)
- Shiny fish radar: 100 emeralds, 1 time purchase (same as HH)

New Leaderboard Sections
- Chopping levels
- Fishing levels
- Mining levels

Logs / Wood Blocks - Tree Chopping - Warrior Specialty

First let me address the issue with this that was brought up by Robby in my other thread; trees are often used as a border for areas.

Solution - I’m not sure how easy / possible this is from a development perspective, but I believe a solution to this could be having the trees remain there after being chopped down, but only being able to chop them again after x amount of time (x could be different for each tree depending on the intended rarity of the logs). For example: You “chop down” a tree, it drops some logs. The tree then remains there so it can act as a border, but it can’t be “chopped down” anymore, until x amount of time passes (this is to prevent infinite tree chopping). When I say “can’t be chopped down anymore”, I mean you can still attack the tree as if you are trying to chop it down, but it does not take on any damage and will not drop any logs for that period of time, essentially this is a “grace period” for the tree.

If that is a valid solution, here is how I think tree chopping should work:

Personally I believe the system for chopping trees in Helmet Heroes was good, and a similar system would be even better in Eliatopia because of the item stacking in inventories. For anyone that doesn’t know, essentially you chop down a tree and it drops a random amount of logs, ranging from 0 to x amount (highest is dependent on the rarity of the tree). Once you gather 10 logs of a specific wood type, you take them to an NPC that will give you a wood block in return for trading those 10 logs and a small amount of coins (like 1k-5k). Those wood blocks then are used to craft items. Wood blocks should be used in most craftable items, again, very similar to the system from Helmet Heroes.

Chopping level -
Just like in Helmet Heroes, there can be a chopping skill that you can level up, and you gain exp for it by chopping trees. The higher your chopping level, the more damage you do to the tree (also taking into account the tree’s durability and the player's damage output). Each tree should give a slightly different amount of chopping exp, dependent on the size, durability, and HP of the tree.

Warrior Specialty -
I think it would be cool if each class had a “specialty” for these skills. As would kind of make sense, warrior’s specialty should be chopping trees. This could be a skill for the class, and upgrading that skills would slightly increase your “luck” for logs dropping (you may get more logs from chopping down a tree). Warriors naturally would also do the most damage to trees. This skill shouldn’t make them “OP” for chopping, just better than other classes for it.

Fishing - Mage Specialty

Again, I personally believe the fishing system in Helmet Heroes was good for a basic concept and could be used nearly the same way in Elia. I do think in Elia fishing should have more depth though, using the things listed below.

Different types of fish:
- Large and slow
- Small and fast
- Medium
- Shiny of all of those

Different fishing poles: Each pole requires its own bait, 1 piece of bait is used upon each cast - (i'm not going to name them cuz i'm horrible with that)
- Pole 1: Has a smaller lure radius, but is much more stable. Best for catching large and slow fish
- Pole 2: Has a large lure radius, but is very thin and unstable. Best for catching small and fast fish
- Pole 3: Middle ground pole, good for all around use

Different bait: (again not going to name them)
- Bait for pole 1: $40 each
- Bait for pole 2: $40 each
- Bait for pole 3: $25 each
- Bait for shiny fish (can be used with any pole): Best for catching shiny fish. $500 each.

Fishing Level -
Essentially the same as the chopping level. You get exp by catching fish, and your fishing level slightly increases the likelihood of you catching a fish. The higher the level the easier it is to catch fish.

Mage Specialty-
Again, similarly to chopping for warriors, mage can have a skill that when upgraded, slightly raises your likelihood of catching a fish. This would stack with the fishing level bonus.

Shiny Fish Radar-
This could work the same as it does in Helmet Heroes. Once purchased, a button appears on your map that when pressed, points out where any shiny fish currently are. There could also be a setting to toggle pop-up notifications for new shiny fish spawns.

Mining - Cowboy Specialty

Mining would essentially work the exact same way as chopping trees does, just with mining rocks and boulders (mostly in the caves, but others scattered around elsewhere as well). This may have the same problem as they are being used for borders in some areas (or may be in the future), but the same solution I presented for trees can be applied here as well. There could be one main difference between the two, but it is small and would just be up to Robby’s preference. The rocks/boulders could drop minerals which are used for crafting by themselves, or it could follow with chopping and drop minerals which then must be traded for “bricks”, which are then used for crafting items.

Mining Level -
Same as the chopping level, you get exp from mining, and a higher level allows you to do more damage when mining (still taking into account the durability of the rock/boulder and the players damage output).

Cowboy specialty-
Essentially this would be the same as the warrior skill for chopping as well. I chose cowboy for this because I pictured the high RPM, and explosives (using grenades for extra damage?) and the “blowing out ledge” using dynamite aspect of the real world.

Runes / Stones - Archer Specialty

There isn’t much to say here besides runes and stones will be used in crafting items as well. This should reduce the current stockpile of runes that many players have, and increase the value of more common runes. Whatever runes are most common should be used in crafting those sets at that time, for example, right now H1 and H2 are pretty much the most common stones. Maybe a warrior helmet will require 3 H1’s and 1 H2 to craft, something like that.

This is an Archer specialty simply because of the loot thief skill giving archers a higher drop rate.

Rare Boss Drops - Whipmaster Specialty

There isn’t too much to say here either, these drops would be similar to how runes and stones drop from mobs, but these would be unique to each boss. This would be cool because it would give each boss a specific purpose, as really they don’t have one right now other than to kill it once for the eliapedia. They would be rare drops, but not extremely rare, to the point where no one has them.

Whipmaster's have a skill that does additional damage to bosses?

Side Note: I am no artist, so I haven't included any artwork to go along with these additions. If anyone likes this idea and wants to create some artwork for it, let me know and I can put it in this thread and give you credit for it.
Last edited by CrazyVanilla on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

troopas

Re: Craftable Items - Full Thread (long lol)

Post by troopas » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Yeah I think crafting should be added soon. If the new best sets are just purchasable they aren't gonna be as interesting.

But I think Robby should do a soft launch. Maybe release a few craftable items at first to get players opinions on it rather than going all out.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Support! Always enjoyed going out to craft items rather than just buying them. It feels more rewarding to craft your gear and it should hopefully increase the selling price of items that runes/stones sorta failed to do :c
Goddess of the hunt

Apples

Post by Apples » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Total support! I totally love the idea of Mining and Chopping to get Stone and Wood/Logs and not just get dropped by monsters, it brings a new entire gameplay of fun and will have that oldschool rpg feel like Runescapes, Would totally enjoy seeing this get implemented in the future!
An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away.

Swagybob

Post by Swagybob » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Support! This sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Zekai

Post by Zekai » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 pm

SUPPORT!

edk

Post by edk » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 pm

I think this is a really good idea, maybe early to implement but should be considered for the future for sure.

masnam

Post by masnam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:52 pm

Support.

coolboynum1

Post by coolboynum1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:31 pm

support.
I shall make you subscribe to Troopas and Cinos O R

Swagybob

Post by Swagybob » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:52 pm

bump