First Attempt at Monster Taming

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
Flashlight237

First Attempt at Monster Taming

Post by Flashlight237 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm

So, something Robby wanted to try to do is have players tame monsters. I have a rough idea on how I wanna try that, but really, it's a rough concept and not something I'm 100% sure of.

Really, when it comes to monster taming, practically everything seems to take inspiration from Pokemon unless if it's Minecraft. Knowing this, and wanting to keep things balanced between a turn-based game with random encounters (at least most of the time) and an action RPG that pretty much just does the job it's meant to do, I decided to check how spawning works in Pokemon. Well, after playing just a tiny bit of Pokemon Moon, I've noticed that the random encounter trigger happens in five seconds or less; far faster than anything in Eliatopia save for the Lumbercore arena (in which case Lumbercore spawns six Logons every 10 seconds, which is equivalent to one Logon every 1.666 repeating seconds). Thing was it takes a bit to get in and out of a battle because in turn-based RPGs, you always have to wait until the UI appears and only then can you escape a battle. While I DO need to study it a bit more, a quick look at the spawn mechanics of Pokemon gave me an encounter rate of about 3 battles per minute. Granted there are chances where wild double battles (where two mobs spawn at once) and horde battles (where five mobs spawn at once), but that's the gist of it. There are some monsters that take equivalent or less spawn time than in Pokemon. These are what I got.:

Fanged Squishers: 11 seconds
Shagdaw: 17.5 seconds (one very specific spawner at the corner of a fence)
Hellshag: 17 seconds
Spiked Squishers: 16 seconds
Dumtilian: 15 seconds
Ooze: 10.5 seconds
Rafflesia: 14 seconds (first area); 18 seconds (second area)
Grunts: 14 seconds (Red Leaf Hills); 21 seconds (second cave area)
Stalagmites: 18 seconds
Scorpees: 21-22 seconds
Great Frogs: 21 seconds (outside of yard sale)
Leaflings: 4 seconds (optimal time; artificially spawned by button)
Night Stalkers: 10-11 seconds (in the cage)

Well, that's like nearly half the monsters in the game (I know regular Squishers spawn fast, but I never bothered to check 'em). Of these guys, Fanged Squishers, Spiked Squishers, Ooze, Stalagmites (in some places), Grunts, and Night Stalkers form crowds. Maybe Scorpees, but I think that's only where the bargain bin's at. Rafflesias form pairs in the first Rafflesia area; dunno about the 2nd. Of the ones that DO crowd on this specific list, Grunts can attain a group of five like in horde battles, and the Night Stalkers far more so (in fact, it's difficult just to manually count them all). There are the singing trees, but getting anyone to collaborate with you on those is kind of a chore. Oh, and you can't really find a crowd unless you actually let the monsters crowd, so there's that.

Why I did that first? Well...

For now, there's one idea I had in mind that I think would work in interesting ways. See, I watch a Youtube channel called The Tier Zoo, where the real world is essentially seen as a MOBA: https://www.youtube.com/c/TierZoo/videos

A common feature in these videos are tier lists. While Tier Lists are a common meme nowadays, they originated from the Super Smash Bros community, who used tier lists to summarize the competitive ability of each of the fighters. The Tier Zoo uses tier lists to summarize the survivability of a creature based on how they work. Based on my observations and my writings, this is how I would put the monsters in Eliatopia...:

S-Tier: Auroch Beetle, Scorpee, Shellshocker, Stalagmite
A-Tier: Armed Dillo, Great Frog, Grunt, Night Stalker, Fernip (predicted)
B-Tier: Hellshag, Crab, Logon, Leafling
C-Tier: Petunia, Shagdaw, Ground Spitter, Batling, Puff Monster
D-Tier: Spiked Squisher
F-Tier: Squisher, Fanged Squisher, Agent, Tesla Crawler, Police Man
Unknown Tier: Dumtilian, Ooze, Claystone, Mandrake

I would say their survivability would factor into their ability to be tamed as pets. I was thinking of level limits for the monsters themselves, probably something like this.:

S-Tier: 50 levels
A-Tier: 40 levels
B-Tier: 35 levels
C-Tier: 30 levels
D-Tier: 25 levels
F-Tier: 20 levels

Yeah, that's my guess. Certain mobs wouldn't be tamable, namely bosses, Agents, Police Men, and immobile creatures. Yeah.

As for the act of obtaining monsters, well, I was thinking of a random factor being involved in them, but I'm currently still thinking on a formula for such a thing. Yeah.