Don´t rush the game - The leveling system is broken

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
squid
Don´t rush the game - The leveling system is broken

Post by squid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:51 pm

I have seen that leveling gets more and more hard, but you quite reach a peak in power.

Old Runescape does this quite well, with few numbers it is able to balance a huge game and you always find a challenge, even with lower level monsters.
AQW also does this excellently, as you always find a challenge in new maps even if you are max level.

Eliatopia is doing the opposite, it is trying to give the player huge power to kill everything in one shot, even higher level monsters, Eliatipia won´t be able to provide tons of new content with these mechanics.

This means that the game will be quite shot.
The goal should not to make players able to kill all monsters in one shot, I think it would be better to give certain balance from start to end.

The game should be enough balanced so you can enjoy new areas of mixed level requeriments.

I consider that Eliatopia level system simply ruins the game as how it is working right now. (Unless there will be 1000 level cap but that is quite ridiculous and I don´t think that that is the plan anyway, so basically the game is already broken).
Last edited by squid on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robby
Site Admin

Re: Don´t rush the game - The leveling system is broken

Post by Robby » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm

I think part of this problem is that there aren't enough monsters yet, since the game is still always being worked on. I'd say the current top monster, the beatles, were designed for players around level 40 or so. So after that, you will be out of new challenging monsters at the moment. So just hang tight till some more monsters are added soon. :)

squid

Post by squid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Robby wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm
I think part of this problem is that there aren't enough monsters yet, since the game is still always being worked on. I'd say the current top monster, the beatles, were designed for players around level 40 or so. So after that, you will be out of new challenging monsters at the moment. So just hang tight till some more monsters are added soon. :)
There could be a level CAP to lets say 30, and as the game development goes on, you increase the level cap, very slowly over the years. (This in addition to various major tweaks to how the leveling system and armor system works).

The whole point of the game right now is quite to level up and buy new armor pieces, there should be other incentives, like better quest mechanics (And ton of new quests afterwards) and new areas to explore also.

I created a topic about this subject: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3679
It suggest new classes and game mechanics of how classes switch work, so the player can focus on leveling various classes instead of just one. You can cap max level on one class but can can still level up on other classes, the linked topic explains it thoroughly.

Jakub34

Post by Jakub34 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Robby wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm
The issue though is that this is a problem throughout the entire game. Nerfing expertise partially fixed the problem, but skills are still way too overpowered. Even against beetles, it takes me anywhere from 1-2 hits with power smash and all of the rages to kill them. (This is with the paladin stuff and no runes on my weapon) Archers also have the same issue, because arrow horde is so overpowered. What I'm worried about in the future is enemies becoming impossible to kill, because of how the formula scales.

To quickly show you what I mean, this is your average damage if you had 254 strength, and a weapon that dealt 500 damage against an enemy that has 100 defense. Pretty much, unrealistic stats to have some decent damage against something.

Now here is something that may be a little more realistic. Against that same enemy, your average hit will be 8-9 (however that is rounded) damage. Of course, skills do exist, so that does help bring the number up, but we run into 2 issues. The first one being that enemies die way too easily early on, and that enemies later on either because impossible or very difficult to kill. So if you nerf skills, then you might fix the potential issue early on, but now we have to worry about the late game where we will be significantly weaker.

I think what the game is lacking is some natural progression. As you go on, enemies should feel like they are getting more and more difficult. Currently, it does not feel like that, because you either deal 0 damage to an enemy, or you just blast them away in 1-2 to hits. My 2 biggest issues with the game right now would be the damage formula and defense. When it comes to the class stat, whether it would be from armor or you directly investing into it, it has little to no effect on your damage. The only time it actually has an effect is if your weapon power is well above the enemy's defense. As for defense, it is way too easy to take 0-1 damage from everything in this game. (Beetle being the obvious exception) This, plus that you can easily kill everything makes it so the game has no real difficulty. No need to worry about dying if you can kill an enemy as it spawns, and even if it does, you're just going to take 0-1 damage anyways.