New item price formula

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
CrazyVanilla
Re: New item price formula

Post by CrazyVanilla » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 pm

Jakub34 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm
GeraltOfRivia wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:45 pm
I'm gonna go with simple example: if prices will be lowered by half, you will get half of current money from the drops, cash from mobs will remain the same( i guess so), so in total that won't be as effective as it sounds. I would rather stick with changing lvl req. for sets(make it higher), slightly increase of drop rate and make less amount of new sets for similar lvls( f.e. next one for lvl around 65, then around 85-90 etc.) and of course wait for new stronger mobs with a lot better drops. Also if you look at the economy we have two sides of it-some ppl say everything is too expensive, some say they don't know what to do with money. First group-c'mon don't expect you gonna be rich at low lvl, you wanna buy something-farm for it, don't be too lazy. As for second group-you can always buy emes, switch class etc.

The effects are a lot greater than you think they might be. You have to remember that that the formula grows exponentially, so the smaller the value, the smaller the change. Everything is not going to change at the same rate, as some will see a bigger drop, and some will see little to no drop.

Let's just use the current formula as defense^3 + strength^3 and compare it to a formula of say defense^2.5 + strength ^2.5. Our item that we are buying gives 100 defense and 20 strength, and the item that we are selling has 30 defense and 10 strength

Item Cost Current: 1,008,000
Item Cost New: 101,788

Ratio: ~9.90x decrease

Item Sell Current: 28,000 * 0.3 = 8400 (11,200 gunpoint)
Item sell New: 5,245 * 0.3 = 1574 (2098 gunpoint)

Ratio: ~5.33x decrease

So as you can see, the cost of the item nearly dropped by x10 the original amount, meanwhile the item we wanted to sell only decreased by x5.33 the original amount. If you divide the two, 9.90 / 5.33 then you will see that you need about x1.86 less of that item to afford the item you were trying to buy. Just to break that down, here is what it looks like. We will use gunpoint values.

1,008,000 / 11,200 = 90 items to afford the item
101,788 / 2,098 = 49 items to afford the item

90 / 49 = 1.83x less items needed

Also, as you said, the coins from enemies themselves will stay the same, which means you would be getting "more" per kill. If you're killing an enemy that gives 100 coins, then you would have to kill it 10080 times just to buy a piece of armor. With the price change, that value moves down to 1018, which is a MASSIVE difference.

As for the rest, yeah, there are some sets that are pretty cluttered. Makes no sense to have multiple sets for one area, especially when said area does not scale in difficulty that much.
While I agree the formula could use a small change in order to scale more appropriately for the future, I tend to lean more towards its fine right now. I also believe the formula you made is WAY too cheap, if there were to be a change.

Firstly, I believe gear should be relatively expensive, given there is basically nothing to spend money on aside from purchasing and upgrading gear, and gear has no rarity to it. Should this change in the future, perhaps it should be priced a bit more fairly.

To comment on your formula, it is simply way to cheap. $130,000 for skullcrusher? The average mid level 50's player (which skullcrusher is for), can make $130,000 in less than 1 hour, meaning they would be able to afford the entire set in less than 5 hours worth of grinding, and that is with grinding enemies designed for level 40 and under.

Currently the strongest enemy in the game, the Auroach Beetle, is designed for a level 40 player (stated by Robby). Gear, specifically Skull Crusher considering people complain about its price the most, is designed for a player level in the mid to high 50's, which is quite a significant difference (I believe skull crusher blade is level 56 requirement? Somewhere around there). In order to properly compare the item pricing, you can't compare level 56 gear to level 40 enemies, its just simply incorrect to do so. That means you should be looking at the price of roughly the 3rd best set, the Magnesium set, which costs $718,796 each, a much more reasonable amount for the average player right now.

Essentially all i'm trying to say is that gear FEELS expensive because it has progressed well past the current enemies, not that it actually is expensive, for the most part.

Tankian

Post by Tankian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm

All of this could be solved if all the items were dropped by mobs instead of being bought from a NPC. Let's the RNG roll the dices. :D

Of course we won't need high level monsters for this idea.

Jakub34

Post by Jakub34 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:44 am

CrazyVanilla wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 pm
While I agree the formula could use a small change in order to scale more appropriately for the future, I tend to lean more towards its fine right now. I also believe the formula you made is WAY too cheap, if there were to be a change.
The formula right now is no where near fine, and my first post already shows this. An item of 200 defense already costs 8 million. You can already see this becoming a problem with current sets. The best set for warrior costs 1.46 million, meanwhile the best sets for the other classes fall within the 600-800k range. There should be very little to no difference when it comes to these items.
CrazyVanilla wrote:
Firstly, I believe gear should be relatively expensive, given there is basically nothing to spend money on aside from purchasing and upgrading gear, and gear has no rarity to it. Should this change in the future, perhaps it should be priced a bit more fairly.
Yes, but the prices should not be taken to any extremes. There needs to be a gradual growth in the pricing of items, not massive spikes in price for each set you reach.
CrazyVanilla wrote:
To comment on your formula, it is simply way to cheap. $130,000 for skullcrusher? The average mid level 50's player (which skullcrusher is for), can make $130,000 in less than 1 hour, meaning they would be able to afford the entire set in less than 5 hours worth of grinding, and that is with grinding enemies designed for level 40 and under.
You're basing this amount of money exactly off of what currently? If what a player makes now, then you have to remember that the amount of money a player makes also goes down. That 130k could drop as low as 40k, which would still be 3 hours per piece of hour. Which even then, I would argue is still way too long to get one piece of armor for how early into the game is. (Assuming Robby has A LOT more planned out for the future) A full set of armor (including weapon) at this stage of the game should at most take about 2 hours. Anything over that is fairly absurd.1
CrazyVanilla wrote:
Currently the strongest enemy in the game, the Auroach Beetle, is designed for a level 40 player (stated by Robby). Gear, specifically Skull Crusher considering people complain about its price the most, is designed for a player level in the mid to high 50's, which is quite a significant difference (I believe skull crusher blade is level 56 requirement? Somewhere around there). In order to properly compare the item pricing, you can't compare level 56 gear to level 40 enemies, its just simply incorrect to do so. That means you should be looking at the price of roughly the 3rd best set, the Magnesium set, which costs $718,796 each, a much more reasonable amount for the average player right now.
I would not use the level as an accurate measurement. It's for level 40 players, even though it is possible for level 30 players to slice through it like butter. I am assuming what Robby is potentially looking at is roughly what level a player is by the time they reach it, which even then, a player would probably be way higher than level 45. I am only in paladin armor and I easily stomp over the same enemies that people with skullcrusher and upgraded weapons could stomp over. The same can be said for archer and gunman. I have no doubts that when the "level 60-70" enemies come out, I would still easily kill them. Worse case I can see is me having to buy a new weapon to get up to par with others.

With all of that being said, item prices need to be priced relatively to how much enemies in a general area give. If a general area makes 100k-150k an hour, then an item should either be priced around that, or about 1.5 times higher. (Of course for this stage of the game) It makes no sense to have an enemy give 100k an hour, and then have sets ranging from 600k-1.4m. Of course, item prices run off of a stupid formula that is not needed in the first place and makes balancing a whole lot more difficult, so you would be basing item drops based off of item prices, instead of vice versa.

CrazyVanilla wrote:
Essentially all i'm trying to say is that gear FEELS expensive because it has progressed well past the current enemies, not that it actually is expensive, for the most part.
Not really, no, the items are expensive. They have rampant scaling that only gets worse as an item get more defense.

Zuji

Post by Zuji » Fri May 07, 2021 2:52 am

bump
From, Zuji
Eliatopia: Zuji
Discord: Zuji#7832
Gmail: Private
PM me on discord or on Eliatopia for any questions!

Core

Post by Core » Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 am

half-price seems good, bump
Hello, whoever is reading this, I wish you a wonderful day!

Zuji

Post by Zuji » Mon May 10, 2021 4:14 pm

bump
From, Zuji
Eliatopia: Zuji
Discord: Zuji#7832
Gmail: Private
PM me on discord or on Eliatopia for any questions!