Monster Mechanics + Monsters

Stuff you would like to see in the world of Eliatopia.
Flashlight237
Monster Mechanics + Monsters

Post by Flashlight237 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Okay, so there could be a few mechanical changes to monsters, mainly to make them more lively. From what I've gathered so far, here's what I got.

Monster Movesets

There are three monsters currently known to have movesets: Logons, Scorpees, and Lumbercore. Thing is they don't really show any variety beyond "does damage." The least that can be done is have the moves these guys have have their own base power. Okay, so the current monster damage formula is this:

math.floor(Monster Power² / Armor * 5 * random (0.7, 1.3))

Ideally, this is how I would account for movesets.:

math.floor(Move Power * Monster Power² / Armor * 5 * random (0.7, 1.3))

Where Move Power is the base power of a move/skill. Regular attacks would have a Move Power of 1. As for others, I'm thinking...

Logons:
Tackle: 1.3
Punch: 1

Scorpees:
Pinch: 1
Sting: 1 (+20 Poison Damage)

Lumbercore:
Crate Smash: 1
Swat: 1.3

As for other monsters....

Crab (personal idea):
Pinch: 1
Bubble (Ranged Attack): 0.8

Moonchyllus (Planned)
Ki Blasts: 1
Thunderbolt: 1.3
Root Undergrowth: 1.3
Energy Wave/"Kamehameha": 1.8
Shockwave: 1 (Used to blow players away, much like Lumbercore's Swat attack when switching out of her vulnerable/resting phase)

That's about the gist of it.

Monster EXP

I have no idea what the current Monster EXP formula is, but here's where my idea comes from. So, in the game, it seems harder to kill tanky monsters than it is to kill powerhouse monsters. My personal prediction based on math is if I were to make a Scorpee use its base movement pattern against a Stalagmite, the Stalagmite would win every time. Now, let's put things into better perspective.

Most monsters only have one attack, with Logons and Scorpees having two and Lumbercore having three. Given this, let's assume the Scorpee only has its pinch move.

I've went in and determined how fast both monsters can attack. I used a stopwatch to determine how fast each monster attacks and this was what I got.:

Scorpee: 0.625 seconds (pinching)
Stalagmite: 1 second

Let's also say that I have a total of 100 power, an S3 Caliburn, and, hmm, 2500 armor should suffice. The S3 Caliburn would grant me a weapon power of 75, bringing my attack power to 7500. Here are the stats of the Scorpee and the Stalagmite:

Scorpee:
HP: 260
Defense: 27
Attack: 59

Stalagmite:
HP: 230
Defense: 49
Power: 41

The Stalagmite has 30 less HP than the Scorpee, but it's about 3.3 times as defensive. Let's put that in perspective.:

Damage vs Scorpee: 7500/27²*5=51.44 (36.01 to 66.87)
Damage vs Stalagmite: 7500/49²*5=15.62 (10.93 to 20.3)

Using the median values, I can do 51 damage to Scorpees, yet 15 damage to Stalagmites.

Now how about the flipside? Let's have both monsters hit me.

Damage Taken from Scorpee: 59²/2500*5=6.96 (4.87 to 9.05)
Damage Taken from Stalagmite: 41²/2500*5=3.362 (2.35 to 4.37)

Scorpees can do slightly more than twice as much damage to me as the Stalagmite. Using median values, again math-floored, Scorpees do 6 damage while Stalagmites do 3.

I'm a single-wielding warrior, who has a calculated attack rate of 120 hits/minute when optimal. Against these guys, let's see how well I do.:

Scorpee: 260/51=5.098 (math-ceilinged to 6)
Stalagmite: 230/15=15.333 (math-ceilinged to 16)

At my hit rate, I would kill a Scorpee in 3 seconds and a Stalagmite in 8. This is assuming no crits, mind you.

Now, let's see how many hits the monsters can get in.:

3/0.625=4.8 (math-floored to 4)
8/1=8 (Duh!)

It seems I would take four hits from the Scorpee while I would take eight from the Stalagmite. Assuming median values, well... Huh, they actually deal the same amount of damage to me.:

Scorpee: 6*4=24
Stalagmite: 3*8=24

This is, of course, using ideal methods; the Scorpee has a sting attack that can shift into rotation. Let's try something that actually has only one attack: the Grunt. Here are its stats.:

Grunt:

HP: 290
Defense: 24
Attack: 54

From what I've gathered, including times where I got knocked out and pushed back by each attack, I got an attack rate of roughly 5/3 of a second. There is an attack rate of 1 every second, and the attacks seem to knock me out about 2/3 of the time, so that would leave the rest of that period with about 2/3 of a second worth of walking every attack. Let's do the math and see what I can do to a Grunt and what it can do to me.

Player Damage to Grunt: 7500/24²*5=65.1 (45.57 to 84.64)
Grunt Damage to Player: 54²/2500*5=5.832 (4.08 to 7.58 damage)

Here's what I got after putting the numbers in.:

290/65=4.462 (math-ceilings to 5)

Ideally I'd kill the Grunt in 2.5 seconds, but there is an apparent 2 out of 3 chance a Grunt will knock me down. A Grunt would, on average, land in about four hits in an ideal scenario.

Using median values, and going off four hits, it would seem a Grunt would land in 20 damage on me, less so than a Stalagmite. My math may be off, though.

Of course it is also worth noting that there are two nearly equal monsters in the game: the Armed DIllo and the Agent. Both have the same HP, and the Armed Dillo is just 9% stronger than the Agent, BUT the Armed Dillo is 2.51 times as tanky as the Agent thanks to a Defense of 19 (as opposed to the Agent's 12).

As such, given this, I believe Defense should have more favor added into it, especially given Defense is often made lower than attack power. This was the old Monster EXP formula:

√(HP/4+Defense²+Power²)*0.75

I've no idea what all changed, but I think this is still the base. I dunno. The general rule of thumb for monster stats seems to be 2x base attack power for every 1 base defense power. While tank monsters such as Armed Dillos, Logons, and Stalagmites are exceptions to the rule, the rule of thumb still seems there. That's what I got from dividing power by defense for each monster that's more geared towards power at least. Now, I don't wanna leave non-tank monsters in the dust. Rough estimates would put Dillos, Agents, Grunts, and Stalagmites at this level with the old Monster EXP formula:

Armed Dillo: √(24²+19²+65/4)*.75=23
Agent: √(23²+12²+65/4)*.75=19
Grunt: √(54²+24²+290/4)*.75=44
Stalagmite: √(41²+49²+230/4)*.75=48

My ideal defense-booster for the Monster EXP formula would go like this.:

√(HP/4+(Defense*1.6)²+Power²)*0.75

That way...

Armed Dillo: √(24²+30.4²+65/4)*.75=29
Agent: √(23²+19.2²+65/4)*.75=22
Grunt: √(54²+38.4²+290/4)*.75=50
Stalagmite: √(41²+78.4²+230/4)*.75=66

It slightly buffs how fast all monsters provide EXP, but favors tank monsters about 13% more so based off the average values of just these two pairs. Yeah, I think that works.

Original Monster: Orochi

New Monster: the Orochi:

In case you haven't noticed by its parts, it has a new mechanic... It would have the ability to attack players trying to fight it from it's sides:

This monster would allow for better testing of directional melee attacks. Mhmm. As for it's Eliapedia...

Eliapedia Entry: The Orochi is a beast of legend. It was one of many creations of Moonchyllus, designed to fight off fierce foes that threaten the environment. These creatures were tamed by worshippers of Moonchyllus and her twelve-goddess pantheon back when they, along with Scorpees, were used to teach the art of domestication to the people. Some Orochis were used in ritual sacrifices while others were used as war mounts. Because of this, those who worshipped the Moonchyllus pantheon used the Orochi as a symbol of courage. Currently, they seem to be on a manhunt for anything Xantis-related.

Drop List: Burger, Carving Fork, Golf Bag, Kunai, Cleric's Cross, Heraldric Mantle, Katana, Reptile Wand, Nature Bow, Insect Wings, Taiko Drum, Duality Back Shield, Stage 2 Sharpening Stone, Stage 2 Poison Rune

HH's Return in Elia?

So it seems that Helmet Heroes is going to appear in Eliatopia in some form. All I'll say is the Archaic Bow itself will provide a lore reason as to what its doing there. To add to this incoming event, I'll add a few monsters to the table: all returning. First, here's the Bouncing Mushroom.:

Eliapedia Entry: Moonchyllus created another planet before Eliatopia: it was named Helmetopia. The Bouncing Mushroom was one of many monsters in Helmetopia. After their extinction in Helmetopia, Moonchyllus used her powers to resurrect Bouncing Mushrooms. In doing so, she had added an extra gene into their fungal cells, allowing them to spit out toxic spores as a defense mechanism. This rewiring of their genetic makeup allowed Bouncing Mushrooms to become more adaptable to their environment and prevent them from going extinct again. As fungi, Bouncing Mushrooms are scavengers that eat the remains of dead organisms, although they won't hesitate to eat fruit, insects, and snakes when carcasses are scarce. Strangely, even though they're fungi, Bouncing Mushrooms reproduce by laying eggs in lakes and ponds.

Drop List: Apple, Banana, Watermelon, Yellow T Shirt, Fairy Wand, Shepherd's Crook, Epee, Blue Wizard Hat, Blue Wizard Robe, Blue Wizard Pants, Bookbag, Moonlight Wand, Moonlight Staff, Neon Magic Shoes, Stage 1 Poison Rune, Stage 2 Poison Rune (Drop List mostly based on original drop list: https://helmet-heroes.fandom.com/wiki/Bouncing_Mushroom )

Next, we got the Great Frog:

Eliapedia Entry: Of the monsters Moonchyllus retrieved from another planet of her creation, Helmetopia, she picked out the Great Frog in order to combat Xantis' agents. While Great Frogs are known to eat bugs, they had eaten Swamp Crabs and Rafflesias to maintain their bulk. Great Frogs are strong enough to swiftly tear limbs off humans and stop pickup trucks dead on their tracks. While Lotus Eyes preyed on them in Helmetopia, Great Frogs became prey to Scorpees on Eliatopia. While it was initially assumed that Great Frogs weren't bright, recent field research had shown that Great Frogs are capable of rolling joints and smoking weed. They prevent fires by eating the makeshift matches they use to light up the joints they rolled up.

Drop List: Watermelon, Pineapple, Twig, Archer Shirt, Pro Archer Hat, Beach Umbrella, Woodcutting Axe, Machete, Nature Bow, Reptile Wand, Log Helmet, Wood Gem Wand, Neon Shark Fin, Stage 3 Sharpening Stone, Stage 1 Poison Rune, Stage 1 Electric Rune (Drops loosely based on this: https://helmet-heroes.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Frog )

After that, we have the Leafling:

I wasn't sure how to puppetize this dude with his Dr. Seuss/Simpsons face, so I left him as is. Anyway...

Eliapedia Entry: Moonchyllus created another planet before Eliatopia: it was named Helmetopia. The Leafling was one of many monsters in Helmetopia. While nowhere near as tough as Stalagmites, Leaflings are unbelievably tough creatures due to their coconut-like husks. Leaflings are docile thanks to island tameness, although they had to compete with pet breeders for territory. Despite this, Leaflings are physically able to hold their own against Logons. Fibers of the Leafling are cottonlike, allowing for their use in super-durable canvases for easels, sails, and straitjackets. Their seed-bearing fruits are giant dates with a strong coconut flavor, which are used in creams, candies, sodas, and piña coladas. They had a short life span on Helmetopia due to predation by giant Coconut Birds.

Drop List: Twig, Sports Sneakers, Pro Archer Hat, Sledgehammer, Woodcutting Axe, Magical Leaf, Nature Bow, Flak Jacket, Wood Knee Pads, Wood Armor, Log Helmet, Mini Coconut Gun, Stage 2 Hardening Stone, Stage 3 Hardening Stone (Drops loosely based off this: https://helmet-heroes.fandom.com/wiki/Leafling )

After that, we got the Night Stalker.:

Eliapedia Entry: Moonchyllus created another planet before Eliatopia: it was named Helmetopia. The Night Stalker was one of many monsters in Helmetopia. As its name implies, the Night Stalker is a nocturnal monster that is related to its diurnal evolutionary cousin: the Primal Stalker. While it was previously advised against keeping Stalkers as pets, it is possible to tame a Stalkers bred in captivity. Stalkings, or juvenile Stalkers, may develop traits of both the Night Stalker and the Primal Stalker. Its magic is used to make Cursed Runes in Eliatopia. The Night Stalker is symbolic of the Moonchyllus Pantheon's goddess of death: Morticia, as it is said that lost souls are guided to the Underworld through the aide of Night Stalkers.

Drop List: Burger, Shades, Wood Bow, Witch Shoe, Witch Pants, Witch Robe, Witch Hat, Wood Buckler, Moonlight Cloak, Baby Blue, Vampire Cowl, Bat Wing Staff, Dreamcatcher, Relic Shoes, Soul Piercer, Stage 3 Sharpened Rune, Stage 1 Cursed Rune (Loosely based on this: https://helmet-heroes.fandom.com/wiki/Night_Stalker )

Lastly, there's the Sasquatch.:

Yeah, you try explaining to Mother Nature why a Sasquatch should be white and not brown.

Eliapedia Entry: Once Moonchyllus put Helmetopia's Sasquatches into the forests of Eliatopia, the Sasquatches' fur immediately changed color, turning from white to brown. This was likely due to their ability to camouflage with the environment. Sasquatches are a bit more confused thanks to the change of environment. As opposed to their reputation of being cold-blooded killers in the snowy wilds of Helmetopia, Sasquatches on Eliatopia avoided contact with humans or anything humanlike, much like what one would expect in tales about Bigfoot. They will, however, attack when threatened or cornered.

Drop List: Apple, Orange, Blue Beanie, Coonskin Hat, Sledgehammer, Bat Cowl, Compound Bow, Opal Bow, Teardrop Blade, Feather Mantle, Stage 2 Sharpening Stone, Stage 1 Hardening Stone

Small Eliapedia Addition

As the guy who wrote every Eliapedia entry, I would like to make one addition to the Stalagmite's entry: right at the very end. Here's what I got. "Perhaps this behavior among Stalagmites is a sign of the second coming of Moonchyllus?" A small explanation/hint at what's to come.

Aside from that, that's about it.

K

Re: Monster Mechanics + Monsters

Post by K » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:45 pm

BIG SUPPORT!!!!!!!
Image Tysm Crit

troopas

Post by troopas » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:25 pm

OMG YES SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT.

ME WANT LEAFLING JUMPING BLUE MUSHROOM WHATCHA MUH CALLIT AND NIGHT STALKER

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:10 pm

I see the support is strong with this one. Bump.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:07 pm

Ooo, these are pretty cool! One unfortunate thing, I do mostly have a few HH throwback enemies already completed visually (one being the great frog). However, the red dragon fella would work pretty good in a future update, and if I get some free time (now in in future updates) I could throw a couple of the HH throw-back ones you made in as well perhaps.

masnam

Post by masnam » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Robby wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Ooo, these are pretty cool! One unfortunate thing, I do mostly have a few HH throwback enemies already completed visually (one being the great frog). However, the red dragon fella would work pretty good in a future update, and if I get some free time (now in in future updates) I could throw a couple of the HH throw-back ones you made in as well perhaps.
yay