Desyncs and Possible Solutions

Talk about any unintentional game issues here.

Have you ever experienced a desync related bug/error?

Yes
94%
No
No votes
Not sure
6%

Total votes: 18

r2021
Desyncs and Possible Solutions

Post by r2021 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm

Desyncs have been a major problem with Eliatopia, leading to a variety of bugs and glitches. From my understanding of how programs work, I suspect the problem may have to do with the game processing and storing too much data on the client side, instead of on the server side. This creates two separate versions of the same data which creates a desync. Poor or unstable internet connection is one of the primary causes of desyncs. Internet connection hiccups will inevitably occur and as such it is necessary to prevent these connection hiccups from causing desyncs.

The problems caused by desyncs are quite serious. Fixing desyncs may require a major overhaul of the game code (you can do it devs!). The amount of processes run and data stored on the client side must be limited as much as possible; processes should be run and data should be stored server side as much as possible.

Here are a list of desync induced bugs and errors I have encountered:
1. Player position: the position of players is shown differently between accounts. This occurs most often when you push another player who is afk. On your client, the afk player is shown to have been moved. But when the other player moves again they appear to teleport back to their original position. Reloading does not fix this problem.
2. 'Ghost' characters. Sometimes 'ghost' characters are left standing around. They can be pushed but not damaged. Their health and mana does not regenerate. They simultaneously exist and don't exist (this is common theme amongst desync induced bugs). Reloading does not fix this problem.
3. Failure to withdraw/deposit coins at the atm. Even when the amount of withdraw/deposit is a valid amount, sometimes the withdraw/deposit fails to go through. Coins are deducted from one side of the transaction but not added to the other. Reloading can fix this issue but the transaction is reversed. This often happens repeatedly for periods of several hours.
4. Vendor glitches: Sometimes when you purchase an item, the coins are deducted from your inventory but the item is not placed into your inventory. Reloading fixes this problem but undoes the transaction. This also often happens repeatedly for periods of several hours.
5. Trade glitch 1: Sometimes when you trade, it does not display the other player accepting the trade even when they have accepted the trade. When you click accept, nothing happens. The trade does not go through and a new trade must be done.
6. Trade glitch 2: Sometimes when you trade, the trade goes through but only 1 player receives the items/coins/emeralds. The other player loses the items. Reloading does not fix this problem.
7. Glitched items: Sometimes glitched items will be created where the item exists in the inventory but cannot be used. I am not sure when and how this occurs. When trading a glitched item, trade glitch 2 will happen.

Note: this list is not exhaustive and there are likely many other bugs/errors that are caused by desyncs

As a result of desync errors 5, 6, and 7, I was scammed of my entire set on my main. I have nothing left. Many players have also experienced similar events. Fixing the desync problem must be of high priority.

P.S. Devs, would it be possible to recover my items? I have sent an administrator contact message and a p,m. but have received no reply yet. Thanks.

cyro557

Re: Desyncs and Possible Solutions

Post by cyro557 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm

OP response frr

Edit:
very detailed and well written
YT:Nerfski
Discord:cyro557#7569
HH:cyro557
Elia:cyro/cyro557

GonDup

Post by GonDup » Wed May 18, 2022 11:23 pm

cyro557 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm
OP response frr

Edit:
very detailed and well written
fr, This dude spittin.

Honorbound

Post by Honorbound » Thu May 19, 2022 12:22 am

Number 2 can be done by switching tabs or switching screens.

r2021

Post by r2021 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 am

Honorbound wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:22 am
Number 2 can be done by switching tabs or switching screens.
I think that's happened to me from switching tabs/screens as well. I guess that's another way a desync can be caused: when the game tab is out of focus.

TheWood

Post by TheWood » Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 am

PvP is most desync area lol

r2021

Post by r2021 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:43 pm

TheWood wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 am
PvP is most desync area lol
Which also happens to be one of the places where desyncs screw with gameplay most lol.

Sadomasoquista

Post by Sadomasoquista » Fri May 20, 2022 2:10 am

This error it had been in the game for a while, i wanted to do post about it but i didn't know how, thanks to reporting. I just hope this error gets fixed before full game release.

r2021

Post by r2021 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:44 pm

Sadomasoquista wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:10 am
This error it had been in the game for a while, i wanted to do post about it but i didn't know how, thanks to reporting. I just hope this error gets fixed before full game release.
Yeah. Desyncs are responsible for the majority of errors in the game so it should really get addressed. I lost my whole set due to a bug + scam as a result of desync glitches so I can't play anymore. This shows how serious desync bugs are. At least one other player also lost their set. Mages were targeted apparently.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you have any info related on how to make a said desync occur, or do you just mean in general?