New hosting provider and setup

Talk about any unintentional game issues here.
Robby
Site Admin
New hosting provider and setup

Post by Robby » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:24 pm

So as you may know, I've transferred things away from the former provider (PlayerIO) to a new one. This required me to code a whole lot myself and learn a lot of new things. The new setup requires me to manually do a lot more that would have previously been handled by the PlayerIO service.

That being said, I'm sure there will be a handful of new bugs that will need worked out. These bugs will likely present themselves as connection issues with the game. Meaning you may be unable to log on, join an area, be disconnected, etc. These may also cause the game's server to go down for a temporary amount of time until I reset it. So be patient during these times, and if you can report anything, it could always help.

Thanks. Quicker updates should now be on the horizon!

Flashlight237

Re: New hosting provider and setup

Post by Flashlight237 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 am

Okay. So I've been playing around with anything I can. I had been disconnected only once when entering the gas station area from the construction site. That was just a random issue as I've relogged just to see if that issue would persist. The issue didn't persist.

In any case, here are the good parts I've found.:
  • All of the maps load fine.
  • NPCs are able to be interacted with just fine.
  • Buying and selling things works just fine.
  • Special effects like leaves falling, butterflies appearing, smoke puffs coming out of the "meteors," and water splashing upon entry works just fine.
  • Movable objects like the plants and even the 3D-modeled crates worked just fine.
  • You can still hit the lawnmower to make it spaz out. Yes, that is actually an intentional thing.
However, I will note some persistent issues I've came across.
  • Monsters refuse to spawn in: http://eliatopia.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... b6a9a6f855
  • Putting on/taking off equipment and using consumables does not work (requires relogging every time you want to switch): http://eliatopia.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... b6a9a6f855
  • Using blueberries kicks you out of the game.
  • The Javascript error is back, meaning subsequent relogs require Private (Firefox) or Incognito (Chrome) windows if players don't wish to clear their caches: http://prntscr.com/pkuw4w I have a better idea as to what might be causing this issue seeing as how I was able to log on for the very first time on Eliatopia version 0.3.0, yet not subsequent times. When comparing this to other games (namely Helmet Heroes, Berserk's Zombidle, and Squid Ink) and pre-0.2.96 versions of Eliatopia, it appears that the Javascript issue is caused by the game not properly detecting when a player logs out.
  • Some issues with the Friends list (credits to Jakub34): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74
There are some things I'm unable to test out because monsters won't spawn in. The untestable things are as follows:
  • Combat in general (monster attacks, monster damage, player damage, the whole shebang)
  • Coin drops
  • Item drops (these are rarer than coin drops, with the Squisher and Fanged Squisher being the only monsters able to drop items at testable rates)
So yeah, there's that.

Robby
Site Admin

Re: New hosting provider and setup

Post by Robby » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks very much for all the feedback! Unfortunately I blew pretty much my whole work day today trying to track down that disconnection issue and the equip issue. I've found and fixed the disconnection issue, but the fix won't be released till Monday. I'm still working on the equip issue as well, which fixing that should fix a handful of other issues as well. Both should hopefully be patched Monday. Once I've finished those Monday, I'll take a look at your other posts as well.