How to fix movement.

Talk about any unintentional game issues here.
Boozy
How to fix movement.

Post by Boozy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 pm

I work within Unity myself

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc ... itude.html

it should be clamped so its equal no matter what direction the player moves. As of right now when player moves up + right you get a burst of speed. That is because you're not clamping it.
but please, when/if you do this, and a way to run even if it uses up mp. Its slow enough but the movement exploit makes it a little more tolerable

Robby
Site Admin

Re: How to fix movement.

Post by Robby » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Hmm, currently I don't believe the player should move faster in any particular direction. The player is technically moving the exact same speed in each direction, they just appear to move faster when moving up and right due to the oblique perspective of the game.

Boozy

Post by Boozy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 am

i have no doubt your speed is the same. But the player isn't just looking like its moving faster in certain directions... it is moving faster.

more or less, its the length of your vectors. You can think i'm wrong and you're right and nothing is wrong, but there clearly is a problem.

I also work on networking in Unity using Photon and Playfab. Movement is also one of the most important aspects of a game and i focused a lot of time on all types of movement. I know when something is off.

Don't just ignore a problem and work on something else. There is plenty of poop to try, such as clamping, normalizing your poop, research it because it doesn't work exactly the same In Unity as movement does in Flash.
Last edited by Boozy on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boozy

Post by Boozy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:59 am

Make a new project, throw you character and movement script on it, set up the world /camera view to be like it is in eliatopia, zip up the project and put it on dropbox and give me the link

i'll prove to you it can be fixed.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am

Boozy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:59 am
Make a new project, throw you character and movement script on it, set up the world /camera view to be like it is in eliatopia, zip up the project and put it on dropbox and give me the link

i'll prove to you it can be fixed.
No offense, but I'm pretty sure that regardless of your experience or intentions, most people would find the act of waltzing up to a game dev asking for the source code to be kinda suspicious. I would know; I pulled off a similar move by asking Fresh TV for source material for use as art references back in 2017.

Boozy

Post by Boozy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 pm

@Flashlight237

I asked for the source?

Where Flash? Do you honestly believe you know what you're talking about or just trying to make me look bad here?

If say by chance Robby did create a new Unity Project and put the Player on it with the movement script, then adjusted the world to be like how it is in Eliatopia...

That would be 1 script. The movement.

You think the movement script is the entire game? What am i gonna do with this movement script?

Yeah... this kind of assuming is uncalled for. I get what you mean, but you clearly just didn't understand a word i just said and went straight to attacking without asking a single question.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 am

Boozy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 pm
@Flashlight237

I asked for the source?

Where Flash? Do you honestly believe you know what you're talking about or just trying to make me look bad here?

If say by chance Robby did create a new Unity Project and put the Player on it with the movement script, then adjusted the world to be like how it is in Eliatopia...

That would be 1 script. The movement.
That's still part of the source code. I'm not being mean or anything like you're claiming I am. I'm just trying to get you to not make any of the mistakes I've made before.

troopas

Post by troopas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:20 am

Oh cool. I thought it was a me only thing. When the game first came out I appeared and felt like I was going faster when walking with W + D. Thanks for addressing it though i'd prefer if it weren't removed because I like going sanic speed.