Monster Damage?

Talk about anything Eliatopia related.
Flashlight237
Monster Damage?

Post by Flashlight237 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 am

Hey there. So... How does monster damage work in this game? More specifically, the damage players take from monsters? I know part of it has to do with my armor (which is simply combined equipment defense*base defense), but what of a monster's power? Let's use both the Squisher and the Swamp Crab here.

Squishers do no damage even to naked newbies, who have 1 base defense and no equipment armor, leading to an armor value of 0. its weird because under the exact same circumstances, fanged squishers dealt 2 or 3 damage.

Swamp crabs, on the other hand, dealt 10 to 15 damage on me on my main account when I had taken my fencing mask off. My armor value is 420 without the mask (14 base defense and 30 equipment armor).

What are their base powers in this case?

Robby
Site Admin

Re: Monster Damage?

Post by Robby » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Enemy power is pretty simple, it is as follows:

Crab base power = 22

enemyDamageOutput = basePower * basePower.

For a players final defensive output, it is as follows:

equipDefense = helmDef + shirtDef + pantsDef + bootsDef + shieldDef
playerDefenseOutput = playerDefense * equipDefense

Then the damage would be calculated as follows.

midDamage = enemyDamageOutput - playerDefenseOutput
if(midDamage < 0) midDamage = 0; //This just makes it so you can't take negative damage.
finalDamage = ....//A random number between 75% to 125% of midDamage.

Hope that makes sense! And hopefully I copied everything over right, but I think that should be correct.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Robby wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Enemy power is pretty simple, it is as follows:

Crab base power = 22

enemyDamageOutput = basePower * basePower.

For a players final defensive output, it is as follows:

equipDefense = helmDef + shirtDef + pantsDef + bootsDef + shieldDef
playerDefenseOutput = playerDefense * equipDefense

Then the damage would be calculated as follows.

midDamage = enemyDamageOutput - playerDefenseOutput
if(midDamage < 0) midDamage = 0; //This just makes it so you can't take negative damage.
finalDamage = ....//A random number between 75% to 125% of midDamage.

Hope that makes sense! And hopefully I copied everything over right, but I think that should be correct.
I think you missed something in the part I've marked in red. When doing the math with the formula (assuming 420 for me not having the Fencing Mask on), I got a damage output of 64 (48 to 80) even though the crabs did at most 15 to me. Was I supposed to divide by 5 somewhere? I managed to get more accurate results that way.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Ah! You are exactly correct, yes. I forgot that part. You'd just divide the final result by 5 to get the correct damage.

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Robby wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:58 pm
Ah! You are exactly correct, yes. I forgot that part. You'd just divide the final result by 5 to get the correct damage.
Thanks. In any case, I plugged it in and tested the power levels of each monster. This was what I got.:

Squisher: 1 or 2 (most likely 2; I only got 0s even when naked)
Fanged Squisher: 4
Spiked Squisher: 8
Petunia: 12
Shagdaw: 16
Ground Spitter: 19

Personally, I'd increase the Squisher's power to 3 to allow it to actually deal damage to anyone, though to balance that out, you should also buff the Fanged Squisher's power to 5.

Robby
Site Admin

Post by Robby » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Ok, I'll try and keep the suggestion in mind for the squishers power, I'll just have to run some numbers and make sure it's not too much. Because if a new players dies too easily, that may easily be a game killer for them and make them never come back to the game.

Oh, and yes you are indeed correct. All of those powers for the enemies are spot on. ;)

Flashlight237

Post by Flashlight237 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Robby wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm
I'll just have to run some numbers and make sure it's not too much.
I did the math myself. Against a naked player, a power of 3 would cause the monster to have a damage output ranging from 1.35 to 2.25 damage (base damage of 1.8). Pretty much 1s, maybe some 2s if a monster gets lucky. A power of 2, on the other hand, would deal 0.6 to 1 damage to a naked player (base damage of 0.8).